So what makes the best pressure washer? It’s a bit like how long is a piece of string? What would be the best pressure washer for me or for you is a better question. I did a Pressure washer buying guide which might answer some of your questions. In that post I focused on what to look for when buying a pressure washer. In this post I will try to pass on the information about the individual machines I reviewed and the information I came up with when I was choosing an electric pressure washer for my personal use recently. I hope it helps. The comments are mine. I’m not a tech head or mechanical guru just someone trying to make sense of the jargon and hype to choose a pressure cleaner to clean up around the house.
Before you read on I want you to know that in order to pay the expenses to keep my website going I have become an Amazon Associate that means that if you follow my link and buy something I earn a small commission.
I did this review based on how I think and decide. I didn’t go out and buy every unit – I only wanted one.
I had used a Karcher unit similar to the K2 before so I had a sort of base line for my comparisons. So I will put that one here first. Prices are obviously current at the time I did my review so could vary. Click on the links embedded in the reviews to check the current Amazon prices.
If you are confused about PSI flow rate you are not the only one it may help read my Pressure Cleaning Buying guide which tries to make a bit of sense of it all.
|PSI||Flow rate||Weight||Hose Length||Motor||Price|
- Vario Power Spray wand – if you believe the hype you can easily adjust spray right from the wand so you don’t need extra attachments. From using my friends unit I really didn’t see the need for different nozzles this one really seemed to be enough. You can buy additional nozzles for about $35.00 if you want them later.
- Dirtblaster spray wand – tackles the hardest jobs in half the time according to Karcher.
- N-COR pump – durable, non-corrosive and maintenance-free.
- The pump turns on and off when the trigger is released. Seems like a pretty standard feature on all of them although different companies make it sound like it is exclusive to them.
- Detergent siphon hose – instead of having an on board detergent container this one has a hose to suck up the detergent out of a bucket or similar. I really don’t think you should need detergent anyway the pressure should do the cleaning.
- From my point of view it is nice, small, it has wheels so it easy to move around and an easy to store upright barrel style unit. I just think it might lack a a bit of oomph so I wanted to compare that especially.
- Comes with a 2 Year Warranty
You can also get a another K2 Model which comes with a telescopic handle and an integrated power cord but basically it is the same thing spec wise with a couple of fancy features. If you want to also use it to clean your car you may like the Karcher K2 premium home car pressure washer
When you start looking at electric pressure washers you quickly realize that the Sun Joe Brand is really popular range of products. They are reasonably priced and look to be perfect for use around most houses. They have a wide range of products so pretty well have something for everyone.
These were the first ones I looked at simply because there are so many of them.
When I starred to look at these I thought the product names and price would have some relationship to the power or size of the product. Not so, most of them were 2030 PSI & 1.76 flow rate.
By this time I was starting to get a bit confused.
What makes them different?
Generally from what I can see the product codes that are similar for example SPX3000 & SPX3001 are the same specification wise – the difference is that the SPX3001 has a hose reel. The hose reel does make them look different but the specs seem to be the same.
The SPX4000 & the SPX4001 are the same except the SPX4001 has a hose reel. I’m sure you get the drift.
Some of the models take inlet water to a maximum 104 degrees Fahrenheit which is warm (boiling is 212 degrees Fahrenheit). My thought on this is that how would I ever get warm water to the unit in the first place – I think it is a gimmick and really not important as the pressure coming out of the nozzle is what does the cleaning. I can see that if you were cleaning grease off something it would be better to use hot water. It’s a bit like washing up but it would need to be pretty hot. I know you can get more heavy duty washers that have an inbuilt heating element but these cheaper end home pressure washers don’t from what I can see.
PSI Flow Rate Weight Hose Length Motor Price 1350 1.45 20 foot 10 amp $69.00
- This is the smallest in the range it is hand held, has no wheels and is a pretty basic unit capacity wise. As it is less powerful than the K2 Karcher I’m using as my base line model it was obviously not what I was looking for.
- It might suit for really light jobs
- adjustable spray wand with twist nozzle easily controls water pressure – the more powerful ones in the Sun Joe range have changeable heads.
- TSS (Total Stop System) – Automatically shuts off pump when trigger is not engaged to save energy and prolong pump life – I think they all have this.
- Includes extension wand, 20 Ft. high pressure hose, garden hose adapter, and 35 Ft. power cord with GFCI protection this is to protect you from electric shock. Although it’s not listed as a feature of others I think it would be a pretty standard requirement.
- I think this one would be a case of you get what you pay for.
|PSI||Flow Rate||Weight||Hose Length||Motor||Price|
|2030||1.76||31||20 foot||14.5 amp||$149.00|
- 5 Quick-Connect spray tips (0º, 15º, 25º, 40º and soap) tackle light, medium and heavy duty cleaning tasks
- You can use warm water with this unit as it has a inlet. The maximum temperature is 104 degrees Fahrenheit – boiling is 212 F degrees – I’m not sure how I could get warm water to the unit unless I can run a hose.
- TSS (Total Stop System) – automatically shuts off the pump when trigger is not engaged to save energy and prolong pump life – I think they all have this
- This unit has two tanks for detergent. Each holds .9 of a litre or just under two pints The tanks are removable to carry and store different types of detergent to simultaneously tackle different cleaning projects – I don’t want to use detergents but you may want to.
- Full 2-year warranty
- Comment: These are upright type cleaners are shaped a bit like a barrel vacuum cleaner I noticed that some reviewers said that they easily tip over. As the units are plastic I suppose they could break if they tip over on concrete. The upright shape makes them take up less space for storage. If this is an issue for you the SPX4000 and SPX4001 have the same motor but are a different shape and have 4 wheels so may be more stable.
This is Amazon’s number 1 selling pressure cleaner by a long way. If you check the reviews more than 80% of people gave it a four or five star rating – that’s pretty good. There are over 5000 reviews that is an enormous amount of reviews.
- Low Return Rate: 17% fewer returns than similar products.
- These stats alone make this one hard to go past although the SPX3000 model reviews go back for years. My thought is that maybe the other models haven’t been around for as long or so readily available. Given that most of the specs are pretty similar I really don’t know why so many more people would choose this one over the others.
PSI Flow rate Weight Hose Length Motor Price 2030 1.76 32 20 foot 14.5 amp $156.00
- The major differences in this unit when compared to the one above is that this one it has an on board hose reel and does not have capacity to take warm water. All other specifications and features seem to be the same
Sun Joe SPX 4000
|PSI||Flow rate||Weight||Hose Length||Motor||Price|
- The SPX4000 series are a different shape to the SPX3000 series. The 3000 are more upright like a barrel vacuum cleaner some reviewers commented that the 3000 are easy to tip over. This one looks more stable but will take up more space for storing
- Easy glide wheels.
- and 35′ power cord
- Pressure Select Technology which allows you to vary the pressure – LOW/1450 PSI for everyday dirt, grease + grime, and HIGH/2030 PSI to tackle your toughest cleaning tasks. I think this would useful if you were cleaning something a bit delicate like sandstone.
- It has 5 quick connect spray tips (0, 15, 25, 40, soap) tackle light, medium and heavy duty cleaning tasks and hose diameter inch is 1/4
- TSS (Total Stop System) – automatically shuts off the pump when trigger is not engaged to save energy and prolong pump life – I think every one that I looked at had this feature
- It has an extension wand and a 20-foot high pressure hose, power cord with GFCI protection, garden hose adapter, needle clean-out tool
Sun Joe SPX4001
PSI Flow Rate Weight Hose Length Motor Price 2030 1.76 32.4 20 foot 14.5 $139.99
- Pretty similar specs to the one above except that this one has a better, or at least different, hose reel to the one above. It is a bit heavier than the one above. Really that is the only differences I can find
Sun Joe SPX3000 Accessories
Pressure Washer Accessories (this is just a list from the sunjoe website I thought it would be handy to have it in one place)
There is also a huge range of accessories you can get for your pressure washer, really I am amazed by the number things you can get to add to your machine. Personally I don’t see why you need most of them. The water and the pressure should do most of it . I understand the attachments to wash your car because I think you would get soaked to the skin by the blow back if you didn’t have it but the rest of this stuff?
- Extension Wand (SPX-ESW4) – Add a 5.5’ Wand Extension to get into tight spaces.
- Foam Cannons (SPX-FC34) – Blast away gunk with this cleaning solution applicator, a favorite among car enthusiasts and die-hard detailers to get their vehicles’ exteriors in mint condition.
- RotaryBrush Kit (SPX-RB1) – Low pressure spinning brush for cleaning cars, siding and more.
- Gutter Cleaning Attachment (SPX-GCA315) – Cleaning leaves and twigs from your gutters is a breeze
- Utility Brushes (SPX-UB1) – Gentle bristles are perfect for cleaning patio surfaces, cars, boats, and BBQs
- Quick-Connect 0-90 Degree Rotating Wand Head (SPX-RWA-34S) – Easily angles the stream to get into tight, hard to reach places.
- Detergent Bottle Boost (SPX1DT) – Connects to the SPX1000 and adds detergent cleaners to your stream.
- Multi-Angle Rotary Spray Wand (SPX-MARW1) – Adds wide angle flexibility to get into tight spaces.
- Pipe Cleaning Jet Hose (SPX-PCH25) – Blast away drain clogs faster than any plumber.
- 25’ Extension Hoses (SPX-25HD) –Extend your cleaning radius with a longer hose.
- Scrubbing Broom (SPX-PWB1) – Combine scrubbing power and water pressure for cleaning stubborn grime.
- 10-Inch Surface, Deck and Patio Cleaning Attachment (SPX-PCA10) – The spinning brush and powerful water jets make cleaning your deck or patio a snap.
- Quick Connect Turbo Head Spray Nozzle (SPX-TSN-34S) – Talk about powerful! Shoots an oscillating, laser-tight stream to blast away the nastiest grime!
This comment from the Karcher website got my attention
“Exceptionally powerful – 50% time saving”
The patented Kärcher nozzle technology suited to each individual model make it possible to save up to 50% cleaning time. Compared with the competition, the Kärcher devices are distinguished by a greater cleaning performance and efficiency.
In short: cleaning takes place faster with time savings of up to 50% and thus also energy and water savings of up to 50% – remarkable advantages which have been scientifically confirmed by the renowned and independent Fraunhofer Institute.